Sharing your location on WhatsApp is a great way of keeping your friends in the loop before a meet-up.
But how do you do it? Here’s all you need to know.
How to share location on WhatsApp (couple of pars then numbered bullet point list)
Ever planned to meet a friend at a park or a festival and found you can’t find them in the crowd?
Or maybe you’ve got an engagement and just want to show to the person you’re meeting how far away you are.
In both cases, sharing your location on messaging app WhatsApp could be just the tool you need to keep your plans on track.
In order to do it, you just need to do the following steps:
- Open the app
- Press on a conversation or chat to open it
- Press the paperclip icon in the message bar at the bottom
- You’ll be presented with a few options including “location”, select this
- You’ll then be asked if you want to allow WhatsApp access to your location, if you do, select “Continue”
- You’ll be asked whether you want to allow the app to access it while using it, just in this instance or not to allow it
- You may have to change your permissions, if so, you’ll be directed out of the app to your phone’s settings
- Back in the app, select “Share live location” under the map
- You can choose whether to do so for 15 minutes, an hour, or eight hours, as well as adding a comment to the person or people you’re sending it to
- Your live location will then appear in the chat, with the time remaining displayed
How to turn off your location on WhatsApp (couple of pars then numbered bullet point list)
But what if you’ve shared your location by mistake, or you want to stop sharing your whereabouts after you’ve arrived?
Well, never fear, as it couldn’t be simpler to to disable it.
- Open the chat you shared your location in
- Select “Stop sharing” (located underneath the map and your profile pic icon)
- You’ll then be asked whether you want to “CANCEL” or “STOP”
- Select “STOP”
- Your live location will now no longer be live, and the “Stop sharing” text will have changed to “Live location ended”.